Economic growth in Canada has outstripped the US since NAFTA (see statsCan
for details). Not only did the Chretien government pay off the deficit,
which was considerably higher as a percent of GDP than the US's debt, its
been running a surplus for the last couple of years. In effect Canasda has
not been hit by the latest US recession, but has continued to show
significant growth.

larry