> It was displayed at CES last year, would they really spend the
> money to
> go to a large event like that if it wasn't coming out?

Yup.  There's tons of vapourware at every computer show, including CES.

> Current rumour is that it'll be about $400

That is very expensive for a console.  I'd also be very surprised if it was that low.  An AMD XP 3200+ alone is ~$200, even if bought it multiple quantities.

> If you look at the specs on the GameCube and Xbox hardware, people
> saidthey couldn't be made cheap - the GC is now under $100!

As with all technology, the older the tech, the cheaper it gets, until it gets phased out.  Sure, if the Phantom comes out, it'll be $100 in maybe 3 years.