From: Jim Campbell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 12:03 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Original SW Trilogy on DVD

As strange as it feels to say something like this, I don't think I like
computer graphics very much.  Not to say they can't be awe-inspiring.  I

distinctly remember staring, dumbfounded at the screen 11 years ago when

Jurassic Park came out, and Weta's work with LOTR is unparalleled and
truly incredible in parts, especially regarding Gollum and the
MASSIVE-controlled armies.

However, when I see an older movie, complete with obvious wires, motion
control rig shots, miniatures and bluescreen halos, it makes me feel
like I'm seeing a more tangible, more organic, a warmer finished
product.  You can almost see the effects geeks coming up with crazier
and stranger ways of trying to bend reality with Plaster-of-Paris, matte

paintings and cleverly positioned miniatures and camera angles... almost

like a play.

That said, I've felt that when Lucas enhanced the effects from the
original trilogy, he took some of the life out of the movies.  That
isn't to say some of the shots were extremely well-placed, my favorite
being the long, luxurious CG shot of the attack fleet of X- and Y-Wings
flying from Yavin to the Death Star.  However, so much of it looks
perfect and clean, it detracts from the obviously cheesy space western
it's always meant to have been.

- Jim