Hmm..this is actually looking interesting if I have a HD TV!

I may not have to upgrade my PC after all...since the only reason to
spend 4,000TT (800US$) on it would be to play games!

:)

We get an update on the status of this upcoming PC game console.
GameSpot recently had the opportunity to visit with a representative
from DISCover, the creator of a plug-and-play-style technology that will
be used in PC-based consoles. DISCover has already signed hardware
manufacturing deals with three major PC hardware companies: Apex, ABS,
and Alienware. Apex's consoles will target more mass-market audiences,
while ABS' version will target standard PC game audiences with
comparable price points. Alienware's version of the console will be a
high-end product that will include additional features for movies and
music so that it will be more like a full-fledged media center.

Interestingly, these manufacturers apparently plan to use actual PC
hardware in manufacturing DISCOver consoles, so while the physical
console itself may not be instantly, easily upgradable, the
manufacturers may offer different models of console using different
licensed hardware at different price points, and in different outer
cases. When asked about the observed technical difficulties in running a
recent PC game like HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK
"http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/callofduty/index.htmlCall"http://www.
gamespot.com/pc/action/callofduty/index.html"Call of Duty, the DISCover
representative explained that the company was aware of the issue and has
already taken steps to ensure that the hardware available to power the
console is up to the company's standards.

While we were unable to see a finalized production unit, we were able to
see a prototype unit in action running such PC games as VU Games'
HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK
"http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/hulk/index.htmlThe"http://www.gamespo
t.com/pc/action/hulk/index.html"The Hulk and Atari's HYPERLINK
"HYPERLINK
"http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/rollercoastertycoon/index.htmlRoll"
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/rollercoastertycoon/index.html"Roll

erCoaster Tycoon. According to the DISCover representative, the console
will apply the same sort of plug-and-play functionality as a PC game,
and we saw for ourselves that simply inserting an installed PC game into
the drive immediately ran the games' autorun executable file, starting
the game instantaneously. The console will ship with a sizable hard
drive to accommodate numerous games, and it will automatically install
any new PC game that's inserted into the DVD-ROM drive.

Once your console's hard drive becomes full, DISCover technology will
also automatically uninstall your least-played game from the system to
free up space. However, as we saw, the process of reinstalling games
takes minimal time. RollerCoaster Tycoon is a PC game with a fairly
small install size, but it was installed and running from the disc in
just a few seconds.

DISCover technology, as mentioned, is planned to be incorporated into
consoles produced by the above three manufacturers, and the company's
current plan is to ship the game with at least a standard PC gamepad.
However, the consoles will likely come with standard peripheral ports
(the ApeXtreme will have numerous USB ports, for instance, to allow
keyboard, mouse, and gamepad support), as well as external audio outputs
and Ethernet and modem connections. The console should have the same
sort of online support you'd expect from a PC; you should be able to get
online with a DISCover console by plugging a network cable from the back
of the console into your network.

The company also plans to solicit the support of a third-party
application to help update PC games with downloadable patches and other
standard PC updates. DISCover has apparently already secured support for
hundreds of PC games and hopes to launch the console with support for
about 2,000 PC games at launch, as well as driver support for most major
hardware peripherals, such as joysticks, gamepads, keyboards, and mice.

When asked about the innovation award that the console won at CES 2004,
the representative stated that the award created "a lot of buzz" for "a
fairly new company" and that "the game market has room" for a product
such as this. The first DISCover consoles will hit store shelves later
this year.

-Gel

---