iTunes purchases are encoded in AAC format, which are essentially only
readable in iTunes and iPods.  There's some limited DRM built-in, too.
You can play iTunes purchases on up to 3 computers you register under
your iTunes ID.

And, yes, you can burn a playlist in iTunes to CD and immediately turn
around and rip the CD to MP3's, and there's nothing saying you can't do
that.

Also, you can only burn a specific playlist 10 times from iTunes before
you have to either recreate it or shuffle it around.

- Jim