I haven't read that one yet, but I just finished Digital Fortress by the
same author while I was in Colorado last week, and I had already read
Deception Point. Digital Fortress is interesting, but from a technical
standpoint, a bit blown out of proportion. If you are a geek, you may
have a hard time accepting his representation of various technologies.

Deception Point, to me, was a better read, more fluid and it sucked me
in to the story better.

I have a conflicting appreciation of Dan Brown's books. One one hand,
his plotting and action keep me interested and I have a hard time
putting his books down. On the other hand, I hate his writing style and
how many cliches he uses. His similies are purely dreadful, and the
overuse of the "brilliant but beautiful" female characters grow to be
rather droll. I think that he's latched onto a formula and he works it
to the bone. Which is fine, he's obviously making a lot of money off of
it, and his books serve a purpose to me when I need a simple, cheap
thrill to bide some time. I get the same satisfaction from reading one
of his books as I do watching an action adventure movie.

However, when I compare Digital Fortress, a book about code breaking and
ciphers, to something like Cryptonimicon, there is no comparison. Neal
Stephenson is the king of writing believeable technology/sci-fi fiction.

Despite all of my complaints, I will still probably read The Davinci
Code -- it sounds like an interesting read.

I was actually talking to a coworker about Dan Brown's books the other
day and we both agreed that the books are written to be like movies.
Maybe that's Dan Brown's goal: To option all of his books into movies so
he can retire early. Sounds like a good plan to me.

-Bret (tired, rambling incoherently and not wanting to return to work
after a week on my sister's ranch)