ok ok you know those flying sentinels.  THey seem pretty strong.  Why dont they use them for drilling for oil or methane ice deposits?!!!  more energy than a human being!!!

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Davis
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 11:36 PM
  Subject: RE: Matrix Question

  I think it was both body heat and electricity - the purpose of the matrix
  was not specifically to keep us "sedated" but rather to keep our minds
  active so that we'd generate more juice.

  As to why humans you can just say because electrics eels may not have had
  the proclivity to generate a messiah and escape the matrix, thus making for
  a pretty boring movie.  ;^)

  In the mythos of the movie (which of course requires some hefty suspension
  of disbelief already) you might say:

  1) The machines have a "soft spot" for humans in that we created them.  They
  may not want to see humans exterminated, just controlled.  They may not have
  meant to generate power in the first place, but after centuries (or
  millennia) of keeping us alive and controlled they decided (as any good
  machine would) to make use of the obvious resources until finally we were
  their only resource for power.

  2) Although all we've seen in the power-generation aspects of the farms it
  may also be that the human mind is also used as a data storage and
  processing device.  Lower organisms wouldn't work as well in this regard.
  You could also say that dreaming is actually the by product of the mind at
  rest running program packets for the machines like an idle desktop running
  "seti at home".  It would be interesting (although too late in the movies)
  to find out that "unplugged" humans never dream.

  3) Since the power plants weren't constructed until much later, after the
  war ("we burned the sky" in the movie - presumably a reference to nuclear
  winter) we might assume that animal life had become more than a little
  scarce.  Maybe electric eels (and pretty much everything else) were just
  simply extinct.

  4) Even if there were electric eels around there's still basic science to
  consider.  The electricity generated by an eel isn't really suitable to our
  (or presumably the machines) purposes, its direct current and packs a jolt,
  but is extremely quick and may not be useful to actually power something
  (it's so fast that it really couldn't, for example, be used to charge a
  battery).  Slow and steady may win the race with the "special type of
  fusion" developed by the machines (remember it's not the human body per se
  that generates the power but rather the bodies power that does something to
  allow these fusion reactors to work).

  Also there's still entropy to consider - the eels would have to eat
  voraciously to create the charges, perhaps more than the equivalent in
  humans would have to eat.  You never can get more energy that you put in.
  Also much of an eels body is dedicated to the electrical organs which just
  aren't good eating - recycling the eels bodies for food for the others may
  not be as practical as with humans.

  How's that for over thinking a joke?  ;^)

  Jim Davis

    _____