Up until that point you had been a US resident though, correct? And you are still a US citizen? Maybe that was the difference.

Here is all I know. Several years ago I went north for the summer. The children were little and I took many cubic feet of stuff with me. The back of a pickup was pretty much full. The computer, worth about 2000 US at the time and a desktop model, was questioned. I told them that I was staying at least two months and planned to do some writing. This was accepted.

I was in Canada again in the summer of 2001. My mother was pressuring me to move back to Canada -- she does this periodically -- and I made inquiries as to how it would work if I did.  OHIP wanted to see a slip from customs saying I had declared an intention to reside in Canada. Once they saw that slip there would be a three month wait to register and a waiting list to actually be assigned to a doctor. Canada Customs told me that my car, an older Toyota, was actually exempt from import duties, and the slip that OHIP was talking about would be the sort of thing that would be given to someone moving north with a houseful of stuff. Since I was not doing that at the time, I did not pursue the matter further.

But cross-border shopping is a great pastime in Canada. There is a relatively high exemption on American goods -- I am thinking $200 per trip ? -- but Canadians who buy goods in the US are supposed to pay customs duties.

Dana