That's why I thought the approach that these researchers took is most likely
the right one going for intentionality. I wonder what would have happened if
instead of saying "Imagine moving your arm." the researchers said "Move your
arm", and paired it with the cursor moving. That brings up another
possibility, if any of these amputee subjects had phantom limb syndrome,
would that go away following training with the device?

> There was also a short-lived plan by a Japanese automaker to
> remotely monitor brain wave activity of the driver and it
> would sound an alert if their attention wandered.

I know a couple of labs that have received some fairly large grants from
Nasa to develop something similar. Also there's a Russian project that does
the same. All of these have a major problem of defining what pattern means
inattention, or inappropriate attention. For instance you can be fully
absorbed into watching the road, that gives a very different eeg pattern
compared to falling asleep or simply not paying attention to the road
itself. Then even the best systems cannot be real time, at least right now,
because given the mathematical transformations that are required for the
analysis, a fair amount of computing power is needed. Ergo, even the best
systems will be at least a second behind real time events for this stuff.

larry

This electronic communication, together with any attachments, may contain
information that is legally privileged, confidential or otherwise private.
The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please be
aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of
this communication or any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please immediately notify the original
sender and delete the received information from your system. Thank you.