I've noticed that ASP.net server controls generate code like that.  I
don't know if it will change depending on the doctype, but I was taken
back when I first saw the code it generated.  Then I thought, hey this
is Microsoft and they don't need to follow no freakin standards!

--
Marlon Moyer, Sr. Internet Developer
American Contractors Insurance Group