In the original HTML specs integer attribute values did not have to be
quoted (but they could be), in the XHTML (XML compliant HTML) specification
they do.

Many WYSIWYG editors follow the old style, some follow whatever DOCTYPE you
choose - see if try to use an XHTML doc type if they still don't quote.

There are other differences in XHTML as well.  It's case sensitive (tags and
attributes should be lowercase), you cannot minimize attributes (for example
nowrap="nowrap">), no tags can be "endless" (in in "<br>" - you must use
"<br />") and so forth.

Doing all of this (and a few other things) is what people when they call XML
documents "well formed" - it means (basically) that there are no loose ends,
no surprises, nothing unexpected.

So there really is no "best" method - if you want to be XHTML compliant then
you should quote (but doing ONLY this doesn't mean your document is
compliant).  For HTML compatability (versions 1-4) you can not quote
integers if you wish and the document will still be completely legal for
those DOCTYPES.

Personally I quote them out of habit.

Jim Davis

  _____