Perhaps the infamous aliases would be an appropriate technique? I seem to recall that aliases are considered OK in some cases in CF, or am I remembering that incorrectly?

I like the idea of 'distance_between_sea_floor_and_sea_surface' myself, rather than 'thickness_of_ocean' (though the latter is elegant too!). But in any case, it would be delightful if the two (three?) alternatives were also present, for searchers.

John