> I've got an unresolved question regarding e-mail processing.
> Does anyone know how to set up a particular POP3 mailbox so
> that every time it receives a message a particular ColdFusion
> script is executed?
>
> Some individuals suggested (at Allaire's discussion forum) the
> use CFSCHEDULE/CFPOP to schedule CF to check POP3 mailbox
> periodically as the only way. I'm not convinced. Besides that
> unnecessarily uses up system resources especially if that mailbox
> receives only a few messages a day. If I'm on a shared virtual
> hosting plan is there anyway I can specially configure the mail
> server to monitor for incoming email and then run the CF script?

This depends on your mail server. For example, my mail server allows
delivery of messages to a program. This program could be anything,
essentially, so I could write a VB program, or even easier, a WSH script to
accept the message and use HTTP to request a CF script from my web server.

However, this is a lot of trouble to go to if you don't require an immediate
response. If the mailbox only receives a few messages a day, why not just
check it maybe four times a day? Of course, if you do require a more rapid
response, you'd have to increase the frequency of this operation.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444