From: Bill Grover [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 7:49 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Source Control

I figured I would stick my nose in here.  Having not used the Perforce
product I can not speak good or bad about it.

We use Visual Source Safe and have been for about 3 years.  Everything the
other users are saying about perforce can be said about source safe.
Depending your configuration of source safe you can allow multiple people to
checkout the same document.  Then as each person checks the document in
source will compare what is being checked in with what is currently in
source safe.  If you changed a line(s) of code and no one else has then
source safe simply merges your changes automatically.  If however, you
changed some lines and someone else changed the same lines it will show you
the 2 versions and allow you to choose which set of lines to place into
source safe.  Once "merged" you can even tweak the lines to get them into
their final form.

The only restriction on the multiple checkout function is for files that are
binary, for example Word documents, graphics, etc.  In this case since it
doesn't have text to display differences with it will only allow one person
to have them checked out at once.

We have been very happy with source safe.  We have had as many as 6-8
programmers working on 1 project simultaneously merging changes and adding
files without any problems.  We have even taken advantage of going back into
the history and pulling a previous version of a file when someone "screwed
up" the current version.  You can even "pin" versions.  In this case you can
take a specific version of a file and this is the one retrieved whenever you
get latest version.  However, I can have a later version checked out and
working on it.  In this way if you have a routine that is stable and working
you pin that version.  You can then enhance and add functionality to a later
version without worrying about corrupting someone else's application.  This
usefulness comes in to play when you allow multiple projects to share the
same program.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill Grover
Supervisor IS Department        Phone:  301.424.3300 x396
EU Services, Inc.                       FAX:      301.424.3300 x1396#
649 North Horners Lane          E-Mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Rockville, MD 20850-1299        WWW:      www.euservices.com