> in a fit of unbridled passion, wrote:

Regardless, that reply header slays me :-)

> > > I feel tempted to flame you, but I won't.  Cold Fusion is
> > > only concerned
> > > with Cold Fusion .cfm files.. NOTHING ELSE.  It doesn't care about
> > > PDF's, it doesn't care about making text flash in your browser, it
> > > doesn't care about ANYTHING but parsing .cfm files!!!!!
> >
> > This is patently incorrect. There is tremendous filesystem functionality
> > built into the <cffile> and <cfcontent> tags. You can pretty much serve
> > out any file you want, however you want it, at any time. If you want to
> > secure non-CFM files, put them in a directory outside of your web
hierarchy
> > and use a script that serves them out using <cfcontent> or (sometimes)
> > <cffile> -- after the appropriate security checks, of course.
>
> And you presume sending over a PDF as a .CFM is somehow acceptable?

I dont see anywhere where the guy said anything about serving pdf's "AS"
.cfm's. I think he was saying that one could build in some type of "security
like" cfml logic that utilizes the cfcontent or cffile tags to render a pdf
to the user, after the cfml security logic was processed successfully.  We
sorta do this ourselves - not neccesarily the most elegant approach in the
world, likely simpler than LDAP and/or webserver acl stuff or even something
like Novell Directory Services.

Maybe the original poster may consider a server object from the PDF gurus
over at Arts/Roundtable/Planetpdf. A different approach to "securing" pdf's
altogether....... (Im not affiliated with this company...)

ARTS Security - $350

ARTS Security is an ActiveX/COM (Component Object Model) component that
allows you to use OLE and Acrobat to: open secured PDFs, modify the security
on PDF documents, and check for existing security settings. The component
can be used in conjunction with the Acrobat OLE Automation model.

I for one feel very strongly that cf and pdf integration are "On Topic".  I
also think that with support for COM objects/EJB's etc.... that CFAS is
interested in a little more than only "Parsing CFML", but what the hell do I
know.

Steve
the pdf'd one