very cool, could you point me in the direction of that tag?

thanks!
-Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 9:52 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: a couple things (Verity)

> 1) Yes! You can incrementally add new items one-at-a-time to
> your verity indexes. Its very simple:  You just use the UPDATE
> action to update your already-existing collection with the new
> item. Just make sure that your new item has a unique key.

One potential problem when doing this, though, is that the collection might
be corrupted if anyone executes a search while the index is being modified.
You can use CFLOCK around your CFSEARCH and CFINDEX tags to prevent this, or
use a leapfrogging index scheme.

> 3)I really don't think there's a way to highlight text.  This
> is something you could concoct using Regular Expressions and
> some HTML code to bring out the searched words. Hopefully someone
> else on this list can give you an easier way.

You're right in that Verity itself won't highlight the search text when you
view an individual document or record found in a search. There are custom
tags available that will allow this. I believe there's a CFX which will do
this, and if that's not available, I wrote a CFML custom tag a long time ago
that will do this.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496