And ultra edit can handle files of unlimited size, search and replace in
the current file or all open files or an entire folder if you like, which
means you can search and replace a string e.g. a tag, a url, a
site name etc, throughout a site in seconds.

Ultra edit lets you record macros that can do anything the app itself can
do.  If you do things repeatedly, its wonderful.  For example, every
friday night, I have to take a listing from an email, convert it to a
html page and post it.  I paste the text into ultra edit, run the macro
and save the file to c:\temp.  Then run a dos batch file that loads the
page to the web site.  The job used to take me 15 minutes or so using
dreamweaver or CF studio.  This way it takes me less than 30 seconds.  Cut
paste, run macro, save, hit batch file .. go get a beer.

I have to edit hex files quite often too, in another business activity i'm
in.   And UltraEdit has a lot of excellent features for that too - like
search and replace, with or without changing the file size.

You can set preferences for almost anything - fonts used, screen sizes,
whether or not to display line numbers, when to wrap a line, whether to
save in dos or mac or unix or EBCIDIC text format.  And you never get
"this file is too large for notepad - open in wordpad? " EVER again!

Cheers,
Mike Kear,
AFP Web Development
Windsor, NSW, Australia