From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2002 4:29 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CFMX Taking all CPU Resources?

> To make my point clear...I think Basic operations in
> CFMX show a degraded Performance under load...for
> specific settings..
> I am trying to do the research.. you guys might be
> right.. There might be some internal CFMX settings
> that prove.. CFMX Scales better than... CF.50..
> Well..where are the MAGIC SETTINGS (MM docs.. dont
> think so!).. Probably in the HEAD     of some ENGINEER
> MM LAIDOFF.

I doubt that there are any "magic settings" anywhere. The fact is, CF MX is
a completely different engine than CF 5, so the appropriate tuning settings
for CF 5 are largely irrelevant. Even with CF 5, optimal tuning settings had
to be determined by load testing your servers with their specific
applications. You'll need to repeat this process with CF MX. I suspect that
the settings you end up with may be completely different. For example,
there's a "simultaneous requests" setting; to determine the optimal value
for this, you really had to do load testing under CF 5 or any prior version.
The same is true for CF MX now, however its unlikely to be the same value as
it was for CF 5.

You might want to approach this "from scratch" - don't follow any
assumptions about what works well with CF 5. Load test your individual
application to find the bottlenecks, and identify the operations that are
taking longer (and causing those bottlenecks). Again, they might not be the
same set of operations that caused bottlenecks in CF 5. See what changes you
can make in those operations, and test to see what difference those changes
can make. Then, once you're done load testing your application specifically,
use the same load test path to determine optimal settings for CF server
tuning switches.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496