Wow, finally a response on the issue!

Even if I never get it solved, at least having someone say "I feel your
pain." is enough.

Number 1: Slackware and Red Hat are not very different with exception of
included packages during install (the workaround for this was
solved--needed some X libraries)

Number 2: Latest apache has been installed-- 1.3.26 + Mod Perl + mod_php
(4.2.2)

        I have tried using mod_ssl (2.8.6 + OpenSSL 0.9.6c) but then
disabled it because mod_ssl uses the EAPI. I figured take out anything
that uses EAPI for simplification purposes.

Number 3: To my knowledge, there isn't a way to disable EAPI, so the
answer here would be yes.

Number 4: This segfault happens over and over and over again. When
coldfusion is first launched, it spawns about 20-30 child processes. After
approximately 1-2 minutes, these processes die off taking about 15 seconds
for them all to die. Then new processes spawn in its place (thanks to the
-autorestart flag on the cfusion executable).

No indication in any other error logs what this could be.

Let me know if you need some assistance, I would love to try some
experimental / beta patches. I can give you some good feedback on how they
work.

I've always wanted to be in the development process. *grin*

Matt Goodman