Any place that has 'public' email lists is a good choice to start with. I've heard a
whole lot about Topica selling lists of addresses.
As for staying on peoples good sides, I'd say rigorous control over content and
location is a must. If you know everything that's being sent out, when its going out
and have a relatively good idea of who its going to then you've got a good start.
Having quick public support service is another useful thing.

Just as a side note for those who may have wondered, HoF does not distribute ANY of
the email addresses that we have on our mailing lists or newsletters.