John, the place I would concentrate my efforts on are the places where you
are calling out to other resources, for instance you SQL Server-Client Var
calls.  Use extended debug, gettickcount etc to see if you have any DB
Connectivity slow downs going on.  109 and 232 errors are indicative of slow
browser response times.  I would also check if the apps are using any CFX_
tags, if so you should lock those calls. Also any other CF Custom Tags that
you may be using and or  UDF's because you are at the mercy of any CF Code
in those.

My first instinct would have been shared-scope vars but you say you don't
have any.  And keep checking the logs (Application and Server) to see if you
can do a time slice comparison across the logs to pin down the cfm templates
that the slow downs emanate from.

Hth.

Kind Regards - Mike Brunt, CTO
Webapper