On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 09:33 , Matthew Walker wrote:
> I agree with you Sean regarding readability. I just didn't think it was
> reasonable to quote the results of timed tests when one version was
> trimming and the other wasn't.

Actually if you read my detailed post with all the timings in, you'll see
that I tested x eq "" against len(x) and then against len(trim(x)) to show
that there was negligible difference in timing. So I actually *did*
compare the non-trimming version.

> I'm sure most of us think that usually
> readable code is worth a small speed sacrifice anyway.

That's what I would've thought but apparently that's not the case - which
is why this whole thread has dragged on! :)

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood