On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 08:38 , Matthew Walker wrote:
> It would be fairer to compare
>
> Trim(emptyString) eq "" instead of emptystring eq "".
>
> It's not fair to say that 'eq ""' is simpler than
> len(trim(nonEmptyString)) when the second case is performing one extra
> optional function.

I was merely taking at face value the 'best practice' everyone bandies
around here of replacing X EQ "" with LEN(TRIM(X)). I don't agree it's
best practice.

The end result is that in CFMX, the old saw that LEN(X) was the fastest
way to do this is no longer true.

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood