No can do.  In order to get the pop-up window, you need a Server-side
language of which JavaScript is probably the best for your purposes.
ColdFusion is a server-side technology meaning that all of it's code is
executed on the server before a page is sent to a user.  Because of this,
ColdFusion has no dynamic capability on the user's computer (meaning it
can't dynamically validate form fields, etc.)  HOWEVER, don't lose heart.
If you just don't want to write the JavaScript, ColdFusion can do that for
you to facilitate form validation.  All you need to do is either use CFFORM
elements or embedded HTML form validation.  The latter is pretty simple.
All you do is create a hidden input field corresponding to each INPUT field.
The names for these hidden fields are then appended with validation rule
suffixes.  Here's an example:

If I want to require a text field is completed is first create that text
field:
<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="Field1">

Then, I create a hidden form field with the appropriate validation rule
suffix:
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="Field1_required" VALUE="Field1 is required">
Here, the VALUE parameter specifies the error message displayed if the rule
is violated.  Other validation rule suffixes are:

_integer
_range
_time
_date
_eurodate
_float

This will cause CF to generate appropriate JavaScript code to do the
validation.  If you want more information on this, get Ben Forta's first
book.

Jesse D. Roberts
Business Process Analyst
Procurement Quality Assurance