On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 11:17 , Douglas Brown wrote:
> I felt the need to chime in on this with a question. I am thinking of
> designing an ecommerce app and would like the entire site to be done in
> flash. One of the things that concerns me is the indexing by search
> engines...If I go this way, would I  be limiting myself with small search
> results, since their will only be one page to index?

Assuming you're going to build the backend in CF, one solution is to have
the CF index page generate a spider-friendly list of links if it detects
the 'browser' is a spider else generate the HTML containing the main Flash
movie.

We are having to do something similar - having a search-engine-mode and a
set of search-engine-only index pages.

It really depends on how optimized you want your searches to be. It also
depends on what your user experience should be if the user does not have
Flash installed (which a spider does not) - you could decide to generate a
simple HTML catalog of content if the user has no Flash which might also
solve your search engine issues too.

-- Margaret Atwood