On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 02:14 , Joe Eugene wrote:
>       Sounds like an Applet....

Perhaps, although Applet UIs tend to be larger downloads - and Java
support is not actually as solid as Flash support in browsers.

>       download the entire dataset to the user and have a static application
>       with frames moving in and out....with changing params...? and the

You need to experiment and tune the amount of data requested in each call
to produce the most responsive system. As for frames, you still have the
whole HTML content thing going on there, instead of just the data - with
Flash, the layout and static text is downloaded just once and *only* the
changing data is sent over the wire. With Flash, you don't need frames in
the HTML sense although you may well build frame-like behavior into a
Flash movie (modules loaded into a shell as needed).

>       screen is never refreshed? so how is client/session state managed?

Are you asking how Flash manages session state? Multiple ways. You can
manage state locally using Local Shared Objects - which you can also use
for caching data - or you can rely on the underlying appserver session, e.
g., ColdFusion MX, if you use Flash Remoting.

>       Interesting.. wonder how it scales to download datasets..cache them
>       and run them as client apps?

I don't understand you - run *what* as client apps? I don't understand
what that has to do with datasets.

-- Margaret Atwood