>> Matt wrote:
>>
>> A CF programmer already should have an understanding
>> of programming logic. Simply picking up another
>> garbage collected language with lots of built-in
>> functionality it only a matter of learning syntax.
>> With C that is not the case.
>>
PM> I'm a little confused...

PM> Besides a deep appreciation for the garbage collector
PM> and a badge that says I'm a real programmer what do I
PM> gain by learning about all of the "nuts and bolts"?

PM> Patrick

I'm no expert here, but I believe part of the value is in the
algorithm's, and the logic behind the magic that all of the nice built
in CF functions hide from us. For instance all of the sorting
functions, the actual algorithms aren't really complex, but I never
would have understood the simple logic behind sorting an array if I
didn't have to sort an array in a way CF wouldn't magically do for me.

Think about it for a second, if you had an array, and didn't have
arraySort(), how would you sort it? I'd bet a C guy would know in a
second.

Sorting is probably just a small example, but the understanding of how
sorting works on a lower level than CF, would probably tell an
experienced coder right off that arraySort() would be the wrong
solution in a particular case, and they might know a much more
efficient sorting algorithm to implement.

--
 jon
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]