On Monday, September 9, 2002, at 06:57 , Kevin Gilchrist wrote:
> It'll take you through the all
> the various Standard Template Libraries for C++ (Sean, you have anything
> to do with that?)

Yup although I was mostly involved with the design of the language
features surrounding templates than the library itself. I worked on some
of the library classes, was a beta-tester for several compiler vendors
working on STL implementations and contributed a few pieces to the Open
Source version of STL.

The STL is a *stunning* piece of generic algorithm machinery!

> I would pick C over C++ just because you'll learn C on the way as it's a
> subset of C++ and pick up Object-Oriented programming as well.

I agree (and it's worth noting that C isn't a perfect subset).

> if OO was a priority I'd choose Java first as C++ can be trickier for
> that.  Java will let you get on with programming logic and not to have
> to worry as much about good housekeeping.

But the housekeeping is the really important piece to learn, IMO. It's why
I like "Who's Afraid of C++?" by Steve Heller since it's starts the novice
out with a thorough understanding of machine operations and pointers.

BTW, the best ever 'learning C++' book is "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and
Moo:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/textbooks/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?sourceid=
00002532745706705573&isbn=020170353X

-- Margaret Atwood