On Sunday, September 8, 2002, at 09:33 , Joe Eugene wrote:
> I dont agree with Sean or Dave...

That doesn't surprise me Joe :)

> i dont think IIF is necessary but its
> a very useful function ... "IF USED PROPERLY"

I didn't say it wasn't *useful* - I just said it was bad practice and
could always be avoided.

> Many of you guys dont agree.. but i personally prefer using IIF and i
> use it only when necessary... a good example would be...table row colors.
> ..

It is NEVER necessary. You even admit that above!

> i dont use the above for complex logic...write cfscript blocks of code...
> i am not very fond of <cfif> contructs...

But you can structure your code to be concise without iif(). Since you
want alternating colors, you should see that rownum mod 2 will give
alternating 1, 0, 1, 0 values. So you could construct a two-element array
containing the colors you want - do this above the loop over the table
rows - and then each row just accesses the appropriate element of the
array.

The main benefit of this approach is that it keeps the color specification
separate from the row logic instead of being embedded in the table and it
also scales easily to alternately through more colors or alternating on
blocks of rows.

And of course it doesn't use iif() which is a big plus in my book.

If you want to use iif() instead of <cfif>, that's up to you. Just don't
ask me for a job (or a reference)... :)

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood