> so if I am reading into this correctly....does it seem feasible to read
> esri shape file
> data into cf, into flash or both, and display vector based maps off that
> data?

no, i'd let something else handle that. that something else could be arcIMS,
mapserver (some VERY interesting stuff going on there), etc. you might get
away w/cf as an image server (raster data) like ms's terraserver. if you
sliced & diced your imagery (say aerial photos) properly you could build a
nifty image server w/cf. but real internet GIS/location stuff needs
something that knows geography.

i've seen a few flash frontends but these were almost all punk demos, that
said flash is one of the things on the mapserver developer's plate, could be
some interesting this around the corner. svg is another "well, maybe,
eventually" technology.