> "I just don't see the need for a url like:
> http://www.metlife.com/Applications/Corporate/WPS/CDA/Page
> Generator/0,1674,P
> 249,00.html"

> Just for your information, Vignette use
> "0,1674,P249,00.html" URL format for
> caching purpose.
> The name of the file contains all the parameters used to
> generate content
> for a given template : 0 means that cache can be used
> (dynamic generation is not forced), 1674 is the template ID,

> P249 is the parameter (could be a parameters list)

Parameters for a static file? Or does vignette use .html as an extension for
an ISAPI filter?

>, 00 describes browser capabilities.

So the 1674 part is the only part of all that which is actually useful eh?
:)

> It allow Vignette to automatically generate physical cache
> files that can later be serve directly by the web server.
> Once the cache has been generated, the dynamic web site
> behave like a static web site, the web server only serves
> static html pages.

Yes, Tapestry does this... or it can if you need/want it to -- it's not a
necessity. But it is a native feature of the application.

> This is a pretty clever caching system which made the
> success of Vignette .. 5 years ago (and this is how
> Vignette handles tremendous loads).

If you say so, but I'm fairly certain Vignette doesn't do anything with that
url than I can't do with a 4 or 5 digit number. As a matter of fact, I'd be
willing to bet that much of this is already done by Tapestry -- the caching
that is...

> So OK, the URL aren't very URL friendly, but I don't think
> that URL have to be "friendly". User never look at the
> URLs, only web developers do.. ;)

Did you get a chance to read my first message on this thread? Real
non-developer people frequently look at those url's, and often have to give
them to people over the phone, which is a major pain... Sounds like you've
never worked in a tech-support queue -- as just one example of an instance
in which non-developer people must frequently pass a url verbally. I worked
in  Hewlett Packard's corporate tech-support queue for a year ( was actually
my first technical job ), and the fact that their corporate website where
people had to get drivers was a nightmare to navigate was a _huge_ problem.
They didn't use Vignette, but something like what you see below was a
_common_ occurrance on the phone. And this was even talking mostly to IT and
MIS department techs whos job it was to repair our workstations.

> Try giving someone a url like that verbally -- ever worked
> technical support where you had to give someone a url
> over the phone so they could download a driver? Usually
> you're saddled by the requirements of your call center that
> you can't send anyone email, so copying and pasting the
> url is out of the question. And even with url's that are much
> simpler than this you often wind up with users having
> difficulty hearing or understanding it:
>
> http://www.metlife.com/applications/corporate/wps ...
> . w - p as in paul - s as in sam ... slash
> . c as in cat, d as in dog, a as in apple...
>
> PageGenerator ... p as in paul, a as in apple, g as in
> golf, e as in echo...
>
> Ten minutes later they have the url and your average
> call-time's gone through the roof.
>
> God forbid the person is hard of hearing or just plain
> computer illiterate.

Generally speaking I think it's foolish to assume that non-technical people
will never do or need to do something when it regards your software --
especially when it's something as necessary and readily available as a URL.
Users will do what they need to in order to accomplish anything that's
really important ( in the case of the tech-support person, it's their job to
make sure that people can get the drivers they need, etc. ) but we don't
need to go out of our way to make things complicated for them.

Isaac
Certified Advanced ColdFusion 5 Developer

www.turnkey.to
954-776-0046