"I just don't see the need for a url like:
http://www.metlife.com/Applications/Corporate/WPS/CDA/PageGenerator/0,1674,P
249,00.html"

Just for your information, Vignette use "0,1674,P249,00.html" URL format for
caching purpose.
The name of the file contains all the parameters used to generate content
for a given template : 0 means that cache can be used (dynamic generation is
not forced), 1674 is the template ID, P249 is the parameter (could be a
parameters list), 00 describes browser capabilities.

It allow Vignette to automatically generate physical cache files that can
later be serve directly by the web server.
Once the cache has been generated, the dynamic web site behave like a static
web site, the web server only serves static html pages.

This is a pretty clever caching system which made the success of Vignette
.. 5 years ago (and this is how Vignette handles tremendous loads).

So OK, the URL aren't very URL friendly, but I don't think that URL have to
be "friendly". User never look at the URLs, only web developers do.. ;)

As for UUID, they are only required as Shlomy Gantz said for
"synchronization and aggregation of content and data from globally
distributes sub-systems" : where different applications have to create PK
for the same content (that is what UUID has been designed for).
Otherwise, UUID are just plain overhead.

Benoit Hediard
http://www.benorama.com