On Thursday, September 26, 2002, at 02:24 PM, Sean Daniels wrote:

> If the WinNT box and your Mac are in the same subnet, you should be
> able to simply go to the directory on the Windows machine you want to
> share, right click, choose sharing, and create a share name for that
> directory.

Ideally, the WinNT box will be VPC emulated on the Mac -- I could set
up a separate win box but that would be less convenient.

> Then, from the OS X Finder hit apple-K and put smb://192.168.0.1 (or
> whatever the IP of the Windows machine is),

How do I determine the IP Address of the win Machine?

> hit OK, authenticate using
> a valid user account with access to the share on the Windows box, and
> bingo, you should see a select box of shares available on the PC.
> Select the one you just created and it should mount in the finder.
>
> Just make sure when you set up the share on the PC you allow access
> with the account you're going to authenticate with from the Mac.
>
> By the way, I do this daily with a Windows 2000 box, but have never
> done it with Windows NT and Jag. I would recommend Win2K if possible
> though.

This sounds exactly like what I want to do.

I have VPC & win98 & winNT -- I'll buy a PC box and win2k or winXP if I
need to -- rather not, though.