Like (I think) Isaac said, there's probably something wrong with the code,
but it's kind of hard to tell for sure without looking at the code.

I apologize if this is obvious, but since you didn't really explain the
particulars of the situation, I wanted to make sure that you weren't
inadvertently making this harder than need be.  Does the situation allow for
you to update the column via a single UPDATE query as in:

        UPDATE fooTable
        SET barColumn = barColumn + 1

If so, this will be infinitely quicker than having to perform 1 UPDATE query
per record.

--
Mosh Teitelbaum
evoch, LLC