> Hi.  I work on a site that has development, preview/testing, and
> production
> environments.  These are fully independent right down to the database
> environments.  It's all Oracle on the back end.  I've taken care that the
> data structure is identical from environment to environment.  However, the
> data itself is a little trickier.  Some of it is basic data that I set up
> when the tables are established.  But some stuff gets entered later, and I
> am trying to figure out a clever way to move data from one of the db
> environments to another.

> I could, of course, pull the data, try to have cf spit out sql statements
> that I then paste into another page, but I am wondering whether there is
> some smarter way?  I am imagining some simple export format that I import
> on
> the other boxes.

> Note: this is probably obvious, but just in case: the CF servers are all
> independent, so no CF code can access another server's DBs.

mmm... Well, if you want a CF solution, you could add a dsn to the server
where you want to import the data to and point it at the db server you want
to import from, then a script could generate all your data into cfquery
inserts using <cfqueryparam> to ensure consistency, etc...

This is liable to be slow and tedious. I did this recently to create an
installer for my Tapestry cms application, however, this is assuming an
environment where no source database exists and we needed to simply create
all of our tables and initial data set for a new database from a series of
coldfusion modules.

In an environment where you're talking about moving data from oen existing
db to another existing db I suspect that your best solution is going to
bypass CF completely. In MS SQL Server I would suggest linked servers or DTS
-- I'm not familiar enough with Oracle yet to make an intelligent suggestion
as to the tools in that environment.

S. Isaac Dealey
Certified Advanced ColdFusion 5 Developer

www.turnkey.to
954-776-0046