> How does the CFMX for J2EE run on a J2EE platform?
> Is there a CF stub that has to be installed in a
> J2EE Server that allows it to interpret CFMX or
> does CFMX produce compiled byte code that
> can run on the targeted hosting environment?

There's a CF "stub" that has to be installed on a J2EE server. Once this is
installed, cfm files can be compiled into classes, but those classes can't
be redeployed directly on another server that doesn't have CF.

> If CFMX J2EE is a plugin of some kind on a J2EE server,
> How do they slice up the licensing: Is it per CPU? Per
> server? What about clustering?

It's per-CPU:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/productinfo/features_by_editio
n/

> Developer Licenses I guess are tied to the CFMX Studio,
> but what if you want to develop off of a central server
> and you've purchased "Production" licenses, do they allow
> you to develop off of the same license on a different
> machine?

There's no developer license, really. If you buy CF Enterprise or
Professional Edition, you can have as many people as you want writing code
on that server. Dreamweaver MX is considered by Macromedia to be the optimal
development IDE for CF, and if you wanted to use that, each developer would
need a license for that, but if all your developers use vi or Notepad, you
wouldn't have to purchase any additional licenses for anything beyond your
server license.

> My client is trying to lower their total cost of ownership
> by dumping CF and going to a pure J2EE environment.

I think there's a good argument that using CF may lower TCO, rather than
raise it. CFML code is easier to develop and debug than JSP code, in my
opinion, and that's where the real costs are. You can use CFML as the
presentation logic tier for a J2EE application, with CF MX.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444