> Can anyone answer or point me to a resource about the questions below?

Sure

> How does the CFMX for J2EE run on a J2EE platform?

CFMX is simply a J2EE application that is run by a J2EE application
server.

> Is there a CF stub that has to be installed in a
> J2EE Server that allows it to interpret CFMX or
> does CFMX produce compiled byte code that
> can run on the targeted hosting environment?

The CFMX application is a specialized servlet complier along with some
associated application infrastructure. CF templates are simply extended
versions of JSPs that are compiled into servlets just like JSPs. This
compiler is implemented as part of the CFMX application.

> If CFMX J2EE is a plugin of some kind on a J2EE server, How do they
slice
> up
> the licensing:  Is it per CPU? Per server?  What about clustering?

Take a look at http://store.macromedia.com for answers to these
questions.

> Developer Licenses I guess are tied to the CFMX Studio, but what if
you
> want
> to develop off of a central server and you've purchased "Production"
> licenses, do they allow you to develop off of the same license on a
> different machine?

There is no product named CFMX Studio. You can however obtain a
developer license to CFMX as a free download, see
http://www.macromedia.com.

> My client is trying to lower their total cost of ownership by dumping
CF
> and
> going to a pure J2EE environment.

Well your client may be out of luck then. Generally speaking, the TOC of
J2EE is significantly higher than CF.

-Matt