As a Microsoft Channel Partner and reseller, I can tell you that dot NET has had
similar problems
with market penetration.   The big changes in Studio and the rather steep learning
curve to become
proficient may well pay off at some time, but so far it has been slow to catch on.
The multitudes
of VB programmers are having to learn it all over again due to lack of backward
compatibility and
syntax changes needed to embrace OOP.   MS implementation of SOAP is likewise not
mature as yet
either.  One hears quite a bit of ballyhoo about pure JAVA, however, its
implementation leaves much
to be desired as well.  As a result, I am advising my clients to be careful about
putting one's eggs
in just one basket.  With the adoption of "standards" ( depends on whose standards you
wish to look
at) not being very mature, the entire market for Web Services is going to be in a
state of flux for
a long time to come, and the vendors seem to be trying to overcome inherent weaknesses
with
marketing, as opposed to product.

I have just taken a look at Microsoft's newest server entry, dot NET enterprise, I can
see that
giant steps have been taken in ease of setup and administration  (It is almost as if
they are trying
to put the system admins out of business) with features such as built-in SMTP hosting
and POP3
features which will permit almost any server to be an email host, without the
burdensome Exchange
server or other email server overlays.  Very easy to set up and administer for shared
hosting, and
most of the other server functions which in the past have been really complex.  The
built-in MSDE is
going to speed up most any database functions that have been very resource intensive
in the past.

MS is taking security very seriously as they market their server products to the
enterprise, and
there are many new security features in the product.

IBM has embraced both Linux and ColdFusion on their WebSphere (java) server product,
which tells me
that CF is not going away anytime soon.

Version 4 of MySQL is soon to be released, which will make this database product very
competitive
with the former mainstream products such as Oracle, MSSQL, Sybase, and SAP.  Being
open-source, the
savings in licensing costs alone are starting to get major attention from clients.
That said, the
US military, and other agencies have negotiated enterprise licensing from Oracle, and
are fast
replacing their hodge-podge of FoxPro, Sybase, MSSQL, and other database products with
Oracle as a
standard.

For those *nix aficionados who love to bash vulnerabilities in Microsoft products, I
like to mention
that as a hosting provider who uses both platforms, of the security patches over the
past month or
so, they have been coming more numerous on the Linux platform as new vulnerabilities
are being
exposed.

All in all, the client is becoming much more sophisticated, and is reluctant to
purchase whatever
technology that comes along unless there are compelling reasons, such as ROI and
cost-effectiveness
inherent in the offering,.

For the developer, the market has changed in the past year or so from a seller's
(developer) market
to a buyer's (client) market, and thus wages are dropping as there appear to be more
developers
seeking work than there are clients looking for them.  Also they are looking for more
multi-skilled
developers as opposed to gurus in only one software product.

Bottom line is that no one particular product will have the easy sledding as they have
enjoyed in
the past. CF is a great product, don't give up on it yet!

This address is filtered through the open relay database at http://www.ordb.org
and is virus scanned by ANTIVIR
http://www.dwhite.ws
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]