> I would expect that too. But experience tells me not many people know
> how their RDBMS handles the not everyday functionality.

~sigh~  This is the kind of thing it seems we have to put up with these
days...  Too many web designers trying to become web developers and making a
right hash of it!

> > If you want true 100% compaitibility, then sure, use CFQueryParam
>
> Again, compatibility was exactly the point I was making.

BTW : If you have single quotes in a variable, generally, they automatically
get escaped.  I wonder whether, because a complex variable is being used CF
isn't escaping them.   In which case (without using CFQUERYPARAM, you would
need to use a replace() on the single quote with double single quotes, to do
the escaping on behalf of CF.  No preservesinglequotes is required.

> > but if you want to do 50 small inserts in a row,
>
> "in a row"? Do you mean updates of one row of a table or subsequent
> inserts into a table?

50  inserts one after another, so that 50 rows are inserted.

> >  sending those requests as separate CFQuery tags is pretty much insane
> > - building one big TSQL statement with one hit to the database server
> > is a much better solution
>
> Why would that be insane?

Because that's 50 connect/deconnect to the database via your DB driver, as
opposed to one connect/disconnect and letting your DB do the job it was
designed to do.

Stephen