> What a lame-brained analogy. Todd, there is a VAST difference between
> a browser (i.e. CLIENT) and a SERVER. CF is a server, one upon which large,
> complex, business systems are built. Companies who want to compete
> in that arena don't just abandon support of earlier releases.
>
> (Note: Microsoft still patches older releases of SQL Server.)

Ok, I understand your argument and you're right.  I agree with this.
However, this rolls into the issue that... well, what do they do with
people that are using CF 4.x, etc.?  Do they have to support those people
as well?  Macromedia is _NOT_ microsoft, I doubt they have anywhere near
the MONEY / PEOPLE / SUPPORT for that kind of tech support.

> What cracks me up is that you haven't seemed to figure out that an
> upgrade is a business...not a loyalty to Macromedia...decision.

I totally agree that upgrading is a business decision, but someone should
have decided that upgrading to Apache 2 is a serious business decision and
discuss the ramifications of anything DEPENDENT on the webserver.

Is Apache 1.3.7 any less secure than Apache 2.x?  I'm asking here, I'm not
being smart.

Isn't Apache 2 still considered beta?  If it's not considered beta
anymore, then why is Apache 1.3.x still being maintained?  I've seen MORE
security issues with 2.0 lately than I have with 1.3.x (and, I would have
to say that 1.3.x is the mature software here).

So, now what?  The business decision here in my opinion should be, "Great,
do we move from Apache 1 & CF 5 to Apache 2 and CFMX?"  Get my point?

~Todd

Todd Rafferty ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - http://www.web-rat.com/ |
        Team Macromedia Volunteer for ColdFusion           |
http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/  |
http://www.devmx.com/ - Todd (Moderator /  CoFounder)      |
http://www.flashCFM.com/   - webRat (Moderator)            |
   Speakeasy DSL - http://www.speakeasy.net/refer/18280    |