From: Jeffry Houser [mailto:jeff@;farcryfly.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 9:30 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Mass email marketing

I'll ask a different question.

  Is E-mail marketing viewed as being different than SPAM?
  How about unsolicited E-mail marketing?  Do people feel differently if
contacted a single time by a legit business with a valid return E-mail
address than if they are contacted by some porn site with a hotmail / yahoo
account?  I have an associate who is starting a recording studio business
and E-mailed a bunch of local bands unsolicited.  I was given the
impression he got a good response from that.

  When you vote on the CFDJ reader awards, and select "do not contact me"
checkbox and they go ahead and contact you anyway, does that constitute
SPAM?  ( It happened to three friends who were nice enough to vote for my
book in the Best Book category )

  On Halloween, I deleted all of my SPAM deletion filters under the
assumption they weren't working.  Since then I started creating new
filters, that move everything SPAM into a SPAM folder.  I have received 248
SPAM messages since Halloween.  I created 112 filters just for SPAM domains.