From: S. Isaac Dealey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 8:25 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Architecting Tools

I've used Visio, which I like. I've never used Rational Rose or similar
"heavy-duty" design tools. I've also started the spec for new projects
by
building a preliminary data structure using Enterprise Manager and
screen-capturing a db diagram. This is only if the client is an IT
consulting company or some other technically savvy person(s), since the
db
diagram isn't very meaningful to end users. For everyone else I either
go
straight from description to preliminary functionality or to Visio for a
sitemap or an application flow diagram.

In my case UI design doesn't enter into it until the preliminary
functionality is built, and although I build a style sheet into the
preliminary functionality phase, graphic design isn't considered (much)
until after the UI design is finalized, to prevent wasted efforts on
graphic
designs which have to be entirely scrapped or overhauled due to changes
in
the interface.

I've talked to people who started out as graphic artists and moved into
programming who start with a visual mockup of the front page of the site
or
application using Photoshop and finalize the look and feel before any
functionality is built. I suspect this is largely because where I'm much
more comfortable with code and code revisions, they're much more
comfortable
with photoshop and visual changes.

s. isaac dealey                954-776-0046

new epoch                      http://www.turnkey.to

lead architect, tapestry cms   http://products.turnkey.to

certified advanced coldfusion 5 developer
http://www.macromedia.com/v1/handlers/index.cfm?ID=21816