>> done with a large surface

I swear by my 8' by 4' whiteboard in my living room.  :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Davis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 12:03 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Architecting Tools

> I'm doing some research on what kinds of design tools ColdFusion
> developers find useful when initially speccing out a project.  By
> design, I don't necessarily mean graphic design so much as
> application
> architecture, however eventually graphic design has to be taken into
> account, as well.  For instance, do you use Visio to mock up the
> interface, or HTML, or just a light-weight version of the app in CF?
> Do you use Photoshop?  Freehand?  Graph paper (my favorite
> technique)?
> How about database design, workflow, and process diagrams?  Any
> information would be greatly appreciated.

First level of inteface design and flow is done with a large surface and
a butt-load of post-it notes.  Gotta love post it notes!  Gotta love
large surfaces!

The great thing about Post-its is that they can represent anything, but
they look like nothing.  So you can create a post-it representing each
button on a form or process and have a user "run" the application (with
you shoving new post-its under their noses when they "click").

They can go through the whole app and you never here "I'd rather see
that color or that logo" or anything like that - the Post-its let you
focus exclusively on flow and information design without bringing
computer design into the convesation.

I also do a lot of role-play and competator comparison during the
discovery phase.  There's a nice product from http://www.imarkup.com/
that lets you annotate web pages (with drawing, notes, voice recordings,
file attachments, etc) that can really make the competator review stage
a lot easy (you work with your client and capture what they say, then
review it later).

Put post-its on a white board, one for each "page" (content/tool/access
point/etc) of the site and connect the dots to flesh out your
navigational needs.  Once its done transfer it to a digital medium.  I
also like to have a high-quality digital camera around to take snapshots
of the board through out the process.

I'm a Corel Brat from version two so I'm now using version 11 to do most
of my mocks and graphic design (IMHO CorelDraw/PhotoPaint are much
better suited the web work than PhotoShop/Illustrator - although the
latter are much more suited to print work than Corel).

With the Corel Suite alone I can do Flash work (from CorelDraw directly
or via the new CorelRAVE), PDF creation (a standard feature not
requiring Distiller), image maps, cuts, optimizations, etc - it's a very
web-focused package.

Aside from that Visio and Word make a big showing... I use a bastadized
version of the Summit-D methodology and lately I've been mixing that
with a more bastardized version of UML - so Visio and Word are needed
(lots of documentation... Always documentation!)

I like what I see of UML so far... But it's very difficult to apply any
"complete" methodology to the kind of very small projects I freelance
on.  The office is using a REALLY bastardized version of UML although
they think that they're using it properly (at least you'll hear the
management say "actor" and "use case" a lot - even if they don't have a
clue as to what the words mean).

Jim Davis