photoshop you can program it witht he history and macros
fireworks with a scriplet
imageready with I think they refer to a droplet
all the same things -

real simple batch compressions -
BUT if it's personal and you just want to spend 3 minutes putting up 400
photos - try the feature photo album in DreamWeaver - it will use
fireworks or any other fireworks similiar ( imageready etc) on your desk
top - Create the thumbs, create the links, create the whole gallery.

I use it all the time to take photocd's I purchase and place online so
clients can pick. It is easier than even yes, programming a little cf
photo album --- BUT it is a pain in the ass to edit. It's good fro a
quickie.
jay