I do the same here. I've got the overall server and then I have sub-sites in
folders on the server. I almost always work with DW with just a sub-site.
The biggest problem is actually when trying to work with the site at the
base of that bunch of folders. Opening that in DW can take 15 minutes to
process through the files every time it tries to refresh the site file
listing.

Another problem is with DW Templates and Library items. Most of the time we
use a cfinclude, but depending on the site we might just make something a
Library item. The Templates/Library are only within the defined site. This
is good for the speed of making updates to the Library items that forces a
find/replace on every file in the site and then uploading all those files.
The downside is when we want to share parts across different sites. And now
that we're looking at having people use Contribute, that throws a
significant curve ball into how we define sites, templates and such.

-Kevin