<CFRANT>

One of the subtexts here is the utter bankruptcy of MM's approach to
application servers.

In order to productize CFMX for application servers, they have put the
relationship between CF and the Java App Server into a black box.

Why?  To prevent users of the standard editions from getting some of the
"added functionaltiy" of the ColdFusion MX for J2EE packages for free.

Why?  Because they can charge a hefty premium for the J2EE version.

Why?  Because they assume that anyone running one of these servers has
money to burn.

This is the same approach that they take to CF on Solaris, which is only
available in an Enterprise version.

I have 9 Sun Fire VL100's deployed with Solaris 8.  These machines each
cost about $1500 all up with the OS, Netscape One, etc. No way am I going
to spend $4,999 apiece - over nine times the cost of CF on Windows or Linux
- to run CF on these boxes.  For $45,000, We are more than happy to learn
php...

The MM server line makes no sense to me.  Who can explain the rational for
buying Flash Remoting MX  for $1k when that functionality is built into CF
pro at $800 or JRun at $900?

I think that MM needs to simplify it's product line and unbundle all of the
features in CF Enterprise and CF for J2EE.  If I need sandbox security or a
Type IV driver for Oracle, I will cheerfully pay for it.  Just don't make
me pay for it on my appliance server...

</CFRANT>