Mike

Isn't Kay's  idea really great?

I didn't mean using trying to compete with word for producing clear,
concise html -- who could do that :)

Rather, schools teach word and excel for their data presentation and
problem-solving capabilities, respectively.

More importantly, the use of these tools is likely standalone.

  CF4K, would broaden the problem-solving and presentation capabilities
and add the ability to interact with others over the web or a LAN.

All the schools are wired for the internet, right ? -- I saw Bill and
Al on TV, laying the cables.  And we continue to pay taxes (phone
bills) for this.

So the Internet should available to all schools (but access may be
restricted).

I think that many high schools have LANs for their computer labs.

These likely are used mainly by the instructors to broadcast the lesson
to all the displays and to monitor or assist individual students.

Your idea about  DWMX is an excellent one.

I think we could go a step further.

Make available a Modified Trial version of CFMX especially for
classrooms.  One that they could install on a server (or the main
computer on the LAN, that acts as such).

Then schools could teach problem solving, development collaboration,
web/network application development, etc -- without needing access to
the Internet

The components would be something like:

    HTML as the basic presentation layer
    Flash, etc, for the rich/extended presentation layer
    CFML for the problem solving layer
    SQL for the data management layer

The SQL piece is already available (open source, or from several
vendors)  For example,
Sybase_ASE has an free, easy to install, full-featured database (very
similar to SQL-Server) that allows 25 (I think) concurrent
connections-- even that's not a problem as CFMX pools connections.

Getting back to Kay's original request, what's missing is some
tutorials oriented to kids -- there are companies that specialize in
doing that for any topic -- but I suspect that many of the members of
this list have the talents necessary to develop CF4K material.

It must be a slow day -- is some holiday approaching?

This is such a great idea, that I am surprised by  the few responses.

Maybe, everyone sees the potential and are busy presenting the case for
this or that to those who can make it happen -- that's what I did!

Dick