Wow... thanks to everyone for all the responses!

Here's what I think I'm going to do. I'll create a couple of basic
tutorials, and test 'em on my brother. Then I'll put them online on my
site, so if anyone else wants to mould the mini-nerds in their lives,
there's somewhere to start. I've taken all your ideas on board.

Jochem, I see your point. But these kids are already doing some
computing in school, and I think they are better off learning something
they can build on in the future than how to use Word (it was Microsoft
Works when I was in high school, but same deal). In my brother's case,
creating his personal site - that was last weekend's project - also
involved checking his spelling, grammar, and thinking out his message so
it was clear and made sense. I'm emphasising quality control at every
step. He's using DWMX (as he's using my computer), so we're looking at
the html source a little too. He's interested in creating web sites, so
I want to encourage him to try new, more challenging projects.

Interesting anecdote: when he first took his school project html site
and started editing it "for real", each page had a different horrific
tiling background. My Dad and I tried not to say anything, not wanting
to dampen his enthusiasm. But a week later he had removed all the
hideous backgrounds and put a consistent colour scheme on each page.
Kids really do learn by osmosis. I bought him a book called "html with
css and xhtml" for Christmas - we'll get rid of those tables yet :)

Macromedia have a very small presence in Australia. If anything, I think
their educational focus should be getting CF into universities first,
which is starting to happen. But for kids with an interest, who want to
be ahead of their peers, I think CF is a great stepping stone.

Kay.