> It's really interesting - to me - to see such attention
> to such 'small' language details in terms of performance.
> ColdFusion is the only language I've ever worked in where
> such small details made such big difference in speed...
> and now it seems it is only historical (which is code:
> CFML now behaves more like other languages).

In my experience, which may run contrary to others', these small language
details didn't generally make much difference in CF 5 or previous versions,
actually. For some reason, though, CF programmers have tended to focus on
them to a degree way out of proportion to their actual impact on the average
web application. I'm not sure why this is; I think it might have to do with
the degree of ambiguity and looseness in CFML. I've worked with quite a few
CF applications, though, and I haven't yet encountered a situation where
these sorts of things were the performance bottlenecks within the
application. So, when I see these sorts of things, they bring to mind
debates about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Meanwhile, I've seen far too many CF developers neglect the very foundations
of adequate web application performance - caching, database optimization,
server tuning, and did I mention caching?

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444