I agree - but I also think that this focus on the ridiculous details is
also a tangental sign of CF's community health.

It seems to me that any community that deeply, truly, honestly loves the
thing it's gathered about starts to "get into the nitty-gritty" like
this.  Bascially when the "big news" isn't there (new versions, etc) a
dedicated community goes into the details with a force.

You see the same thing in any fandom: science fiction (think of "Star
Trek" and "Star Wars"), hardware (whether it's cars or computers -
everybody wants that extra performance even if it's only on paper),
music (even here somebody arguing vinyl vrs CD?), or what have you.

I honestly don't think that it has anything to do with the way CFML is
constructed - I really think that it's just another excuse for this
community to keep on talking with each other.

That being said I've done a lot of (past) work on some of this stuff...
And pretty small changes could make for large difference.  However the
point remains firmly in place that these differences are only noticable
in isolation and within a larger application are almost never great
enough to cause problems.

However there's also always something... Something that runs every
template, something that the whole app hinges one... And that something
(whatever it is) is often worth tweaking out as much as possible.

> Meanwhile, I've seen far too many CF developers neglect the
> very foundations of adequate web application performance -
> caching, database optimization, server tuning, and did I
> mention caching?

True, very true.  Of course that's what freelancing is there to fix...
Did I mention that I'll be available for new clients at the first of the
year?  ;^)

Jim Davis

(Who is actually very serious about that last bit...
www.depressedpress.com)